|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
Beginning Summer 2012, the full-time Ceramics Technician will oversee the day to day operations of the Ceramics area.
- Clean and maintain the Ceramics Studio to ensure a safe working environment.
- Ensure that clay, glazes and slip are always ready and available for student use (i.e., mix clay bodies and compound glazes, and periodically test new clays and glazes).
- Maintain a firing schedule which keeps work flowing through the ceramic process in a timely fashion (i.e., .program, fire and supervise the computer-controlled electric kiln; develop customized programs; train faculty and students; etc.).
- Inventory, order and receive supplies and materials (i.e., clay and glaze chemicals, equipment repair parts, safety equipment, etc.).
- Maintain and repair equipment (i.e., trobuleshoot kilns, change kiln elements, replace switches, lubricate wheels, etc.). Clean and maintain kiln furniture.
- Maintain slip casting equipment and supervise its use (i.e., run slip mixer and casting table daily, train faculty and students, etc.).
- Maintain and oversee studio safety rules and procedures to OSHA standards. (i.e., provide respirators, gloves, goggles; ensure adequate ventilation of toxic fumes and mists, etc.).
- Oversee, direct and maintain efficient operation of studio (i.e., organize space, maintain efficient flow of work and materials from forming through finished piece, etc.).
-Manage the Ceramics area budget.
- Hire, supervise and schedule work/study students and graduate assistants (i.e., train, schedule, direct and monitor student workers on a daily basis.).
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Must have B.F.A. in ceramics or equivalent combination of education and experience; M.F.A. preferred.
Technical knowledge of ceramics materials, processes, and equipment required
Skills:Must have ability to handle computer-operated kilns; and ability and desire to upgrade and maintain new ceramics skills as needed. Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills and above average organizational and follow-up skills required.
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE.
|Online App. Form:||http://pratt-edu.silkroad.com/epostings/submit.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jo bid=248&company_id=16145&version=1&jobboardid=101|
More Information on Pratt Institute: